Boys Town began when Father Edward Joseph Flanagan developed a lifelong interest in helping young people while he was ministering to the homeless folk of Omaha, Nebraska. Intent with aiding young individuals into growing into responsible members of society, Father Flanagan started Boys Town. In fact, the non-profit organization was known before as Father Flanagan’s Boys’ Home. Originally an orphanage, the organization today is dedicated towards caring for children and their families, operating out of a headquarters in Boys Town, Nebraska.
Since it began in 1917, Boys Town has grown to extend its services across the US, with locations in California, Nevada, Nebraska, Iowa, Texas, Central Florida, South Florida, North Florida, New England, New York, and Washington, DC. The organization has different facilities, including a Hall of History to highlight Boys Town history and the Leon Myers Stamp Center which features historical stamp exhibits and sells stamps that have been donated in order to support programs by Boys Town.